Saturday, May 26, 2012

Ummmm... What??.

Today I decided to indulge in a bit of Narcisurfing to see if I was being quoted or reposted. (Don't snicker, you've done it too!) I found a few cross references to the article Brian Kerebs did as well as some of the talks I have done in the past two years. What I was NOT expecting was to be included as an authoritative source on how easy it is to hack smart meters on an anti-smart meter site.


Wait.. What? 


The kind folks over at Stop OC Smartmeters posted a link to the YouTube entry with my talk at GRRCon smart meter hacking.

Now, as I recall, I was talking about how difficult it actually is to hack a properly configured meter. No where in that talk to I recall saying that smart meters are easy to hack and therefore evil. Either this person only listened to the parts where I say that with enough equipment and time you can hack about anything, OR they completely missed the point of the talk.

I am not sure if I should be offended that my material was used by someone I consider a adversary in my professional role with out asking me, or if I should be amused at the irony of my words being used to defend the indefensible by the Pakleds of the power industry.

"He is smart, he will make our point. He will make it go."

I think this may actually qualify for posting in the Security Facepalm blog! So now I need to decide if I should send a cease and desist letter (backed by a team of bloodthirsty corporate lawyers fresh off a patent frenzy) or expose the irony of the whole thing and laugh my ass off...
 Feel free to post your thoughts in the comments.
Troll away if you like.
Could be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment